5 Easy Steps for your Home Signal Booster Installation
Step 1: Download the 3rd Party Mobile Apps
We are going to use 3rd party APPs:
To find the cell tower location
To test the signal strength and quality
There are a variety of resources available online: Opensignal, Cell mapper, Network cell info lite, etc.
Please download them beforehand over Android and/or iOS:
You can use either of them in your favor. Here we are using Opensignal and Network Cell Info Lite as the first two choices.
Step 2: Download Signal Supervisor APP and connect the booster
1) Search “Signal Supervisor” on Google Play/ App Store, or scan the above OR Code to download.
2) Register on the Signal Supervisor APP.
3) Switch on the booster
* The Bluetooth/WiFi antenna is built in, there is no need to connect outdoor or indoor antennas at this moment.
4) Click “Add Device” to register the booster into the APP. And we recommend a WiFi connection because the Bluetooth connection can’t go beyond 30ft. Check more steps about the App uses as below.
Remark: Due to the phone types and the WiFi router types, there are few cases though rare that the booster won’t be linked successfully to the signal supervisor app, even after our technical support. In such case:
- Please kindly switch to use LCD signal meter to assist your install and will have the same result. And Bluetooth/WiFi disconnection won’t influence the booster’s working status at all.
- Or please use a different phone or change your WiFi router if you really want a remote monitor.
Please contact our tech support and we will see what the best arrangements can be for you.
Step 3: Look for the best outside signal and install an outdoor antenna
The performance of the booster system is heavily dependent on the successful installation of the outdoor antenna
3.1 Connect the booster with an outdoor antenna
(1) Put the booster near to the location you would like to install in the future, or a place with a power outlet temporarily.
(2) Switch on the booster and make sure the signal supervisor app links with it smoothly.
(3) Connect the 16.4ft cable with the booster’s outdoor port. The booster supports hotplug.
(4) Then connect the window cable with 16.4ft cable and pull the window cable outside and connect it with 49.2ft cable. In case a window cable is not needed, connect the 16.4ft cable with a 49.2ft cable directly.
(5) Connect the other side of the 49.2ft cable with the outdoor antenna.
*It is a must NOT connect indoor antenna at this moment as it will influence the outside signal finding.
*Please place the booster outdoor within 30ft to the possible location of the outdoor antenna if there is only a Bluetooth connection. This is to ensure the App links to the booster.
3.2Select the possible location for the best outside signal.
Bring your mobile phone with the APPs and the outdoor antenna to the location where the best outside signal can be found. The outdoor antenna is recommended to be at the four corners or high end of the roof, or attic.
The outdoor antenna needs to maintain a clear line of sight with the cell tower. And it is necessary to avoid the roof or other stuff from blocking the outdoor antenna.
3.3Use 3rd party APP to locate the tower(s)
Now open “Opensignal”, use it to detect the approximate position of the nearby cell tower.
(1) Insert your detailed address in the “Search city” box. (following figure 1)
(2) Enter signal dashboard, and click “CELL TOWERS”. Then zoom in on the map to find the best one, it will show a blue line with your place which means your cellphone is connected. (following figure 2&3)
(3) When you find such a location, check the strength, test voice, and data speed. A good signal shall not only be strong but also be clear in voice and fast in data speed. (following figure 4-6)
You can also use the “Network Cell Info Lite ” to locate the tower and measure the signal strength before & after install.
The good point of Network Cell Info Lite is that you can see the signal levels.
But it seems to be only available for Android
3.4Look for the best location and direction of outdoor antenna
After the tower is located, please pick up an outdoor antenna and point to the tower and adjust its direction precisely
Watch the signal gauge of the Signal Supervisor App as it will show the booster’s best output power when you get the strongest outside signal.
Target: Try to get the highest possible output power for each band and try to make 2-3 gauges turn green.
1)You can either look at the signal meter value, 12dBm is the best
2)Or you can look at the signal description, Super is the best
Notes: The output power level in the signal meter is the level for each of the two indoor antennas.
Fix the outdoor antenna direction when you get the best output power.
•Keep in mind that it is normal for the output values may vary dynamically between 1-3 dB
•To optimize the signal for one carrier, point the outdoor antenna towards the closest cell phone tower designated to that carrier
•To optimize the signal for more than one carrier, point the outdoor antenna between multiple towers
•Make sure to slowly turn the antenna while taking the readings so the booster has time to adjust the reading
•Test and install the antenna at the same height where power outputs and gain values reach the booster’s maximum capacity
•If you can’t get a good output power, which is even below poor, most probably the install will fail. Either please find a new place to find a good signal again, or drop the install.
3.5Fix outdoor antenna
Now install the outdoor antenna firmly
The connector of the cable connection part must be glued with black waterproof tape to prevent long-term signal drop and reduce signal loss!
3.6Reconfirm that the signal on the signal gauge is the best!
Please do take the following screenshot for future comparison during indoor antenna install.
What you are going to be paying attention to here, is the gain values. If you have interference between your indoor and outdoor antennas, then the booster will lower the gain and these values will decrease.
Step 4: Install the two indoor antennas
4.1Now it turns to install the two indoor antennas
Note: It is better to have two people at this stage. One can go around to find the best place for indoor antennas. While the other can walk around to make tests all over to make sure every spot is covered with the stable and high-quality signal.
4.2Connect the first indoor antenna with the booster’s indoor 1 port by indoor cable, and switch on the booster.
4.3 Find the proper location for indoor antenna
1) Determine the location according to the antenna’s radiation pattern. The radiation pattern is 80° horizontal and 70°vertical. So try to make sure the space will fall into its radiation pattern.
2)After finding the location, hold it there, and watch the gain and power on the App’s signal gauge, they shall keep the same or very nearby with the screenshot taken during outdoor antenna install. This is to avoid the loopback between outdoor and indoor antennas, please move the indoor antenna till you get unchanged or slightly changed gain and power. This step is quite crucial for the booster’s best performance.
Two requests of indoor antenna install
A.Radiation shall be good enough to cover the whole space
B.Loop back shall be avoided
1. Increase the distance between the outdoor and indoor antennas
2. The outdoor and indoor antennas shall be back to back
3. Use barriers between the indoor and outdoor antennas
4.4 Signal Quality test
After finding such a location, hold the indoor antenna there and ask the other person to walk back and forth, and use the 3rd party app Network Cell Info Lite & OpenSignal to test the signal strength, voice, and data.
We recommend you test the signal strength, voice quality, and data speed.
*Notes Again: Just remember that strength and quality are two separate issues. A poor quality “strong” signal can be next to useless, but a clean signal of two bars might be all your device needs.
If the test is good, then congratulations, the indoor antenna position has been successfully found. Please install the 1st indoor antenna.
Repeat the same process in another space to install the 2nd indoor antenna.
Use the 30ft NM-SMAM cable inside the package to connect the Indoor 2 port, and then repeat the steps of 1st indoor antenna installation.
Step 5: Install the booster and the cables
Mount the signal booster in a dry and cool area, and it shall be easily accessible for maintenance
And run the cables neatly, please do use the water-proof tape to protect all outside connections from the weather.
Test again the performance after installation is done
a.First make sure the Signal gauge value is unchanged from the outdoor antenna install.
b.Test by a third-party app calls, and network data is smooth in most indoor signal coverage areas.
a . Now everything is completed and please start to enjoy the mobile service s.
b . If the result is not satisfactory or you want to be better, you may repeat the whole or part of the process to improve.
c.Please contact us: Signal Supervisor App online support, Phone, and Email in case you have any problems.